Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Hasten to be rich... no more!

I was reading in Proverbs 28 today and felt rightly convicted after reading verse 20. "A faithful man will abound with blessings, But he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished." I feel as though I have been desiring after worldly things here lately. I grumble about not having things I want for our new home and food that would be nice to add to the menu. I have been a fool. I see now that not only was I affected by these sinful and lustful thoughts, but my family as well, namely Taylor. I was placing a heavier burden upon his shoulders each time I grumbled or complained about an item I wanted, but could not afford. I was speaking through subliminal messages that I myself was too decieved to see. I was telling Taylor "you are not providing for our family" with every complaint. I was no longer doing him good, but rather evil. I was was sinning against both the Lord and Taylor and for that I must apologize and ask forgiveness. After lifting a repentful prayer to my Heavenly Father, I looked through the rest of the Proverbs for more snippets of wisdom in this area and stumbbled across more than a dozen! It is clear that I am not the only one that struggles with lusting after worldly things, but it is also clear that God will deal with them justly. I stand in fear of the Living God and do not desire to be in the wake of His wrath, and so I will take to heart the many scriptures revealed to me today and hold fast to them. I know I will stumble now and then, but I can now stand firm in the Truth of His word and know that "Better is a little with righteousness, Than vast revenues without justice." Prov. 16:8 I have been convicted by the Holy Spirit in this area, but would ask that you join me in praying for those who struggle with this sin and may not be aware. I also ask that you lovingly address them in their sin. For we are called to "encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13

I am most often blinded to my own sin... Thank you Lord for blessing me with the Holy Spirit who convicts me, and for my husband... who loves me enough to tell me when I am struggling in sin.
LL

No comments: