Monday, March 15, 2010

Proverbs 16

As I read Proverbs 16 yesterday, it seemed to be a continuing theme from chapter 15. I read on and underlined "heart" and "mouth" as I read finding that indeed the contrast between the righteous and wicked continued on in reference to the mouth being the fountain of the heart. I then began to wonder what God could be using this scripture to say to my heart for producing change? I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew something was there. I had noticed that the author opens and closes the chapter with "from the Lord." It grabbed my attention as I continued looking for the hidden message He had for me. I read through a couple more times with no success, but highlighted a verse that struck a cord in my own heart. Verse 23 "The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds understanding to his lips." Here again the heart and mouth are used to show a cause and effect of the products created from your pursuit of godliness... or lack there of. As I wrapped up my study to continue on to Romans, I read through once more, hoping I might see the application in my life beyond the face value of the scriptures. I didn't happen and so I went to bed with the question somewhat lingering in my thoughts.
This morning I awoke to the question again. There MUST be something to this scripture that God would have me learn. After making a fresh cup of coffee, I sat down to check my e-mail while Corin gobbled up his breakfast. As I read through the messages sent, a friend of mine kept racing through my thoughts and so I decided to write her a short note. At the conclusion of the note, I had the revelation! God wanted me to be a living example! I have a disadvantage in not speaking Korean to minister to the women and children in my community, but I can live out my Faith. My actions can speak more loudly and clearly than my words at times and so I need to be mindful of how I represent Christ thought those actions. Aha! I was elated when I finally realized the message God intended for me. It was very evident that this was "from the Lord" in that I had such clarity in my thoughts on this topic. I was amazed how God used my somewhat new friendship to bring this about. I am so glad that God uses those around us to speak wisdom into our hearts! Praises to our Lord and Father for guidance and direction in our lives for without You, we would be eternally lost! Proverbs 16:9 " A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."
LL

1 comment:

Emily Minich said...

I love this post! :) Hahaha.