Thursday, March 11, 2010

Proverbs 15

I will begin with an update concerning my last post. I am a huge believer in the power of prayer as I have and will continue to proclaim! The night after confessing to you the burdening thoughts weighing on my heart, I was able to lie down without fear or frailty. I slept well that night and to date, every night thereafter! I still think of Owen often, but my tears are that of joy in knowing he is well Loved and missed by many. I am thankful for a gracious God and willing brothers and sisters who lifted me to this place. Thank you and many praises to the Living God!
I am not sure how you go about deciding where you will read in God’s word, but more often than not, I am convicted of a sin in my life and look up passages accordingly. I am encouraged in the scripture I find through the reassuring fact that I am not the only one who has struggled in this area. I am thankful that we are able to read God’s promises and desires for action in each situation. I love having a guide book when I am indeed feeling rather lost. Feeling convicted by my words of anger while disciplining Corin this morning, I turned to my concordance seeking direction. I am always drawn to the Proverbs because they are bite size bits of wisdom that are easily recited to memory and so I scanned the reference books and landed in Proverbs 15. I read through the chapter at least three times before seeing a pattern. The “heart” and the “mouth” repeated throughout, contrasting the righteous and the sinful. Vs 28 “The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.” I went through and underlined each reference, then looked up both words in Vine’s expository dictionary.
Heart: In this case the definition would be described as “inner man” or “inner being” in that everything flows from the heart… thoughts, actions, desires and words. Taking this into account, I found the verse in Matthew where the Pharisees are being reprimanded by Christ for their blasphemous words regarding the Holy Spirit. Matt 12:33-35 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.” I have often been told that the dirtiest part of your body is… you guessed it, the mouth. In our society, good dental hygiene is engrained in our minds and daily routines from the very first tooth… which for most is within the first year of life. As you grow older, you are faced with social pressure to maintain a white smile and fresh breath. How many of those infants that are having their gums scrubbed with a finger brush are being sung to or read to about Jesus? How many people do you suppose read their Bibles or even prays as often as they brush? It is sad to think of how much I do for my outward appearances, and how little I care for the “inner man.”
After coming to this conclusion on the matter, I reflected on the fruit I myself am bearing. What example am I setting for Corin? How am I representing Christ in claiming Him and yet spitting out rotting fruit? I am humbled in thinking on how much you can tell of one’s spiritual walk by merely listening to them speak. I too often have caught myself in the midst of gossip or anger or bitterness or you name it… I am called to react to my sin in a way that is glorifying to God. Colossians 3:17 came to mind as I closed in prayer, confessing my sin to God. “And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” I am very thankful for this revelation and humility. (As the Lord would have it, I read Romans 7 today as well… God reinforces!)
*LL

No comments: