Tuesday, January 31, 2012

An eye opener.

Things I have been thinking on lately? Well, honestly... the woes of nighttime feedings for the baby. For a while he was sleeping 10-11 hours through the night without waking for feedings and changes. I was elated to say the least (especially after my firstborn had been up every 1 1/2 hours through his infancy). Anyways... I was perceiving this to be a curse. A punishment of sorts. Why must I suddenly get up every three hours after everything was going soooo well? I was looking at the glass half empty.

A typical day goes as follows:
wake up.
dose myself with coffee after feeding the babe and kiddo.
read.
check e-mail.
put babe down for nap.
hang with kiddo.
snack.
feed babe.
play with boys.
clean.
make lunch.
quiet time and naps for boys. (and mommy)
clean/relax/read.
feed babe.
hang with kiddos.
make dinner.
put babe down for nap.
eat.
feed babe.
family time.
boys to bed.
hang with hubby.
sleep.
feed babe.
sleep.
feed babe.
sleep.
new day begins.

I try to squeeze prayer time in there when I can, when I get broken and tired, when I remember that the Lord is there. :/
I am not always successful. I let Him speak to me through His word... but I forget to speak with Him sometimes. To respond. To give thanks.

Enter night time feedings, stage left.
I find that I tend to spend that time in prayer. For the boys, for my hubby, for family, friends, and just giving thanks.
Something I did not really notice until the other night.

Here I had been frustrated and selfish about my interupted sleep patterns. I had been looking at the glass as half full when it was actually overflowing. I had been thinking of these in a selfish inward manner. Duh. Stinking sin nature just goes and ruins everything.
It was as if I had gone to a 3D movie, not knowing it was in 3D, and not having on the right lenses, I walked out of the viewing dissapointed at the fact that the picture was blurry and of porr quality. But as I got out of the theatre, I found perspective. I glanced back at the theatre to see people exiting with the 3D glasses in hand and smiles on their faces.
I then find myself disheartened to know that I could have enjoyed my experience so much more if I had prepared better for the event. If I had gone in with the right equiptment and attitude, I would have enjoyed the movie so much more. But I hadn't. I just rushed in trying to selfishly get the best seat and ended up missing the most enjoyable parts of the experience.
I realize that I should have been thanking the Lord for the opportunities each night to spend time with Him and to pray over the boys while they slept and to meditate on the Lord. The house is so quiet and still at nighttime feedings. They are one of my favorite times now. SOme of my most cherished moments are the ones that I used to be selfishly begrudged about. I look forward to each time that Hank wakes me during the night. He quietly eating, and me quietly talking with my Father. Pure bliss. Uninterupted BLISS. Now if only I could remember to stop, take in the situation, get the right equiptment (and attitude) and go into each little movie of life fully prepared.
I know I won't. I know I will still rush into the theatre for the best seat sometimes... but I pray that the times I do, that I would remember to look back and learn from that experience.

Sometimes, just taking a moment to reflect on the past can open your eyes to what you missed and give you something more to look forward to next time.

~ Thankful for nighttime feedings.
LL

1 comment:

Mommy Parr said...

It is hard to count your blessings at the same time you are counting your hours of sleep. Every mom feels this way but you seem to have found a way to use the feeding time for an eternal purpose. I remember praying over the twins during night time nursing and, just like you, it helped to change my perspective!

Well done, mom!