Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Memorizing Scripture

Thy word have I hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11

Corin and I have been working on memorizing one scripture verse a week as of late. While it is amazingly beneficial for both of us, it is not much of a challenge for myself. And so I embarked upon a mission. To memorize a chapter. Yes an entire Chapter of a book. Why? Because often times I read a passage and there is more than one good verse that would be beneficial to hide in my heart. So this past week, my friend and I commited ourselves to memorizing Colossians chapter 3. All 25 verses. And guess what?! I did! It was slightly overwhelming at first, but then I decided to break it down into sections of four verses. I wrote the verses as well as verbally rehersed them for about 10 minutes each morning. Throughout the day, I would recite them again, each day adding another four verses. Soon I was barreling my way through the chapter until I reached the finish line.
Before now, I was always amazed at how some people had entire Chapters memorized, or even entire books. I now understand that it didn't happen over night and that it requires constant recitation, but it is SOOOO worth it to have God's word at the tip of your tongue! It also helps to keep your thoughts from wandering when you have an entire chapter to practice reciting throughout the day.
The take away?: I am fully convinced that memorizing scripture is going to be a new addition to my daily quiet times!

In other news:
I have been doing a little something new in my quiet times. I have been going through the book of Psalms, 5 chapters a day, and underlining verses that stick out to me. Because I am a visual and kinesthetic learner, I write these verses down in a journal and then underline important words within those passages. I then take them to the Lod in prayer, asking that he make those verses real in my life. It has been a great addition to my regular prayer life as well as enhancing my affection for the Lord and His scripture.

A recent good book I read: Radical- Taking back your faith from the American Dream by David Platt
check out some info on it here: radicalthebook.com

No comments: