Saturday, February 20, 2010

Romans 2:17-29

I have always loved the fact that the Scriptures speak to your heart in different ways in different seasons of your life. At times, God's words are soothing, others they are reaffirming, but most often, they are convicting... at least for myself. I often find at least one line of scripture that calls me to be more mindful in my pursuit of Godliness. I have many hidden faults that boil beneath my skin and while I look calm and collected in public, I am an entirely different person behind closed doors. I feel two faced at times. I strive to uphold God's image when around others, but not in my own home?. How is this of any benefit to anyone? *** Lately especially, I have been cold and impatient with my family. As we have traveled half-way around the world, away from our friends and family, I find myself without the accountability I had before. And so I write to you, in hopes that those who read this will be able to lift me up in prayer and help to hold me accountable. Even as we are separated by land and sea, we cannot be separated from the power of prayer. May God be glorified through my outward convictions.*** In reading through Romans today, I was drawn to Chapter 2, specifically verses 19-23. "and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law. You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? You who say, “Do not commit adultery,” do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?" I am a mother and therefore a teacher and a light to Corin. I am called to be a living example for my son, and yet he is the one who receives most of my impatience and frustration. I find myself making excuses for my behavior when I know I am doing wrong. I "make my boast in the law" and yet I dishonor God our Father in not obeying them. I ask that you, my friends and family, would lift me up in my obedience in Faith. I desire to honor our Lord in public and in private. Please pray for me as a wife, a mother, but mostly as a daughter of God. Thank you, your sister in Christ. LL

2 comments:

Lindsey Lett said...

After posting this, God lead me to listen to this audio lesson. It was very encouraging to see a response to my cry for help in a matter of seconds. I would encourage other parents to listen to this with their children. http://communitybible.org/audio/whys_child_training_ephesians_61_4_joe_baird

Anonymous said...

Many times I find myself in the same situation. I think of Paul who would say I thing i don't want to do i do....and do the thing I don't want to do. Life is a ongoing war in which we face many battles. Sometimes we are victorious and sometimes not. You are doing the very best thing by picking up the sword of the Spirit in fighting this war. His Word is sharper than any two edged sword. I know for myself my tongue can get me into a lot of touble. Over the years my best defense has been His Word. I have committed verses to memory so when I am in the trenchs of battle I can pull them out. I am reminded of the verse. THY WORD HAVE I HID IN MY HEART THAT I MIGHT NOT SIN AGAINST THEE. I am praying for my precious sister in Korea. Love you! Merilee